The Indigenous Research Exchange was established in 2018. It connects people and ideas and promotes leadership and agency of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in research.
Through a one-off Indigenous Research Fund, AIATSIS has awarded over 30 research grants across Australia. Funded projects are Indigenous led and address the priorities identified by the Indigenous Research Exchange Advisory Board and align with the National Agreement on Closing the Gap reform priorities and targets.
The Advisory Board identified the following priorities for the open competitive grants program:
- Valuing Indigenous knowledge and methods
- Cultural resurgence and resilience
- Indigenous governance and prosperity
- Rethinking engagement with governments
- Opportunities provided by technological change.