Information we collect
When visiting this site, a record of your visit is logged.
The following information is supplied by your browser and collected by us:
- type of browser used
- server address (i.e. IP address which is stored anonymously)
- operating system
- the date and time you accessed the site
- time spent on pages
- pages and links visited, and documents downloaded
- device screen size and type
- region, country and preferred language settings.
Why we collect it and how we use it
We use the above information to understand how our website is being used. This helps us improve our website and provide you with a better experience.
If you provide any personal information when emailing us or completing a form on this site, we will:
- record your email address and any other information submitted
- use this information for the purpose for which you provide it
Your email address will not be added to a mailing list unless provided by you specifically for that purpose.
If you fail to provide us with a minimum level of information (usually marked with an asterisk and generally, an email address), we may not be able to respond to your enquiry.
We will not share your personal information
The law, including the Privacy Act 1988, protects your personal information.
Your personal information will not be disclosed to any other person, body or agency unless:
- you give us permission
- it is authorised or required by law
- it meets one of the other exceptions in the Australian Privacy Principles.
The Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS) uses secure HTTPS connections for all of its websites.
AIATSIS does not disclose personal information overseas.
How we store information
We store information in different ways, including:
- our document and records management systems
- cloud storage
- browser storage